Magnolia Depot (Mississippi)
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Magnolia Depot, circa 1960s
Show map of Mississippi
Show map of the US
101 E. Railroad Avenue
31°8′38″N 90°27′28″W / 31.14389°N 90.45778°W / 31.14389; -90.45778Coordinates: 31°8′38″N 90°27′28″W / 31.14389°N 90.45778°W / 31.14389; -90.45778
less than one acre
NRHP Reference #
Added to NRHP
October 11, 1984
September 14, 2006
Magnolia Depot is a historic railway station located at 101 E. Railroad Avenue, in Magnolia, Mississippi. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 2006.
In 1893, a fire destroyed Magnolia’s railway depot that was constructed in 1856. Between 1893 and 1895, the present structure was built on the same site, next to the Illinois Central Railroad.
The depot is a one-story, wood-frame building with a rectangular floor plan. It was designed to accommodate both freight and passengers at the turn of the 20th century, when Magnolia served as a resort destination. The depot has a gable roof design with wide eaves. The track side of the building was designed with irregular placement of sash windows, a bay window, single entrance doors, and freight doors. The opposite side of the building had single entrance doors and sash windows.
By 1982, the building was used as an antique store and no longer served as a railway station. During the first decade of the 21st century, the City of Magnolia acquired the property for use as a city hall. Because of the structure’s age and deterioration of the foundation, complete exterior restoration was required, but the original windows and siding were retained for historical integrity. New exterior doors were installed, and the freight doors were removed and were replaced with windows. For the interior, original doors, wood flooring, and beadboard walls were retained and restored. Renovation also included new plumbing and electrical wiring.
Grants for restoration were provided by Mississippi Department of Archives and History and the Mississippi Department of Transportation